Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Kids stuff.


Visit to ‘Little Granny’s’ house last Saturday. Little Granny is my husbands grandmother. She is the last remaining grandparent between us, and is 86 (or is it 87) years old. Her house is a stereotypical Granny residence. You know the one. It’s a bit dark because the blinds are part way down and there are china cupboards filled to the brim, retro furniture and black and white family photos. Don’t forget the ticking clock in the back ground (every Granny has to have the loud ticking clock). She is a lovely Granny and my children are lucky they are able to get to know their Great Grandma.


Of course any trip to the city on a Saturday is a chance for garage sales (yes, I am a GS freak), but why can we not find any until it is time to give up? As soon as we decide enough is enough because its morning tea and the kids are getting grumpy, we start to see garage sale signs. Hmm. We didn’t pick up a lot but my husband grabbed a bargain with a $2 golf club and a $3 retro Mario Brothers hand held electronic game. The game is from 1982 and the original priced is marked as $39.99!! I bet that would have been a lot back in those days. I once bought a Donkey Kong Jr game by the same maker when I was in my early twenties. It had been my favorite electronic game as a child. My friend owned it and she would allow me play it if I brought her little cubes of cheese to school. She loved cheese but was ALLERGIC to it and wasn’t allowed to eat it at home. I swear I didn’t know that is why she wanted me to bring her cheese! Her mum ended up lending it to me overnight, hoping that I would get over my addiction. At the same GS today, they were selling this wonderful pin ball machine (for $350!) but of course something like this does not stay up for sale long. 


I am not sure what it is with me and girls toys at the moment? I guess it’s having a girl after a boy and normally buying cars, trucks and motorbikes. I picked up a three piece set of doll furniture. A bath/change table and cupboard combo with a bed, wardrobe and accessories (monitor and pretend baby products) for $20. It will have to stay in storage until little miss is big enough, but I don’t think it will be that long. In the past we have purchased up most of my sons outdoor play equipment at garage sales. A slippery dip for $10, Hills swing set for $15 (but did need some new seats), wooden sand pit for $35, oh and I have to get a picture of this for you…




...a car rocker that reminds me of the one my grandparents had. The type of toy that could take your fingers or toes right off for just $10. I was planning on sanding and painting it and may get around to it one day. Yes, it has become a bit rustier since we got it but that happens. This crocodile rocker was $35 and was looking a bit healthier a couple of years ago (as in the pic). It seems to get a bit of weather under the verandah. Looks cute and strong enough and big enough for mum to have a go too!
I would also like to mention A Farmer's Wife who has tagged me for an award (thank you). She has a blog titled Life in the Country which is all about being a mum and wife on a farm in Western Australia. It is a very interesting read with some stunning photos of the land.

I think I am supposed to say 7 things about myself. I will make it short and sweet.

I would have to be the most uncoordinated person I know. Most kids playing cricket will try and catch the ball. I would stand so far away that the kids had no hope of hitting that far and therefore I would not have to try and catch it.  I once owned a red VW convertible beetle. No fuel gauge or heater and the doors would swing open if you didn’t shut them properly. It was gorgeous. I love the curves and the chrome of beetles. Hmm. Seven is too many. Just one more.  I have known my husband since I was 18 and in a couple of years I will have known him as long as I haven’t.  Now that makes me feel old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the best bit, would love you to leave me a Vintage Hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...