Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Nom, Nom Weet-Bix Cake



I finally used my new Pyrex mixing bowls (and loved it). This was one of my Nana's recipes but I am not sure where is originally came from (if anyone knows drop me a line and I will give them credit). This one would be for the Aussies because I am unsure if you can buy Sanitarium Weet-Bix overseas. Note Weet-bix is different to Weetabix in the UK (so I have been told).

Weet-Bix Cake

Pre-heat oven to 180c.

Chuck all of this into a bowl and mix:

5 Weet-Bix or 2.5oz of the left over crumbs in the bottom of your box (my cousin saves the crumbs for this cake).
1 tbsp Cocoa
1/2 tsp Vanilla
4oz melted butter or margarine
1 cup Self Raising Flour
1 cup Coconut
1 cup Raw Sugar
1 Egg



Look a double yoker!! I recently had a whole carton of these!



Press into a shallow dish or tin. The one I used was 17cm x 27cm but I have used two small ones 19x12cm so something around this size would be fine. Put into oven for 15-20 minutes. It will go lightly brown on the edges (if it hasn't give it a little longer).





My Dad loved this cake with my Nana's marshmallow recipe (below) as a topping, but it's quicker and easier to  use icing. I normally just chuck cocoa, icing sugar (sifted) and water into a bowl and hope for the best however I measured last time I did it and this is about the amount you will need (once cooled of course).

Icing:
1.5 cups Icing Sugar
2tbs Cocoa
4 tbs Water

Poor icing over cake (which is really a slice) while still in tin/dish. Once icing slightly set sprinkle on some coconut.

For something different you could make peppermint icing for the bottom layer and once set add the chocolate icing on the top.






Nana's Marshmallow

4 tsp Gelatine
1/2 cup Hot Water
1/2 cup Cold Water
1/2 cup Castor Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
Pink colouring if desired

Place sugar and cold water into a large bowl and using an electric beater whip gt 3-4 minutes. Dissolve gelatine in the hot water and while still hot add to the sugar mixture. Beat until thick and while. Add vanilla and a couple of drops of pink food colouring if desired.


I used to make this for my family as a kid, it would be gone by the end of the day. I took some to work today and it was a hit (anything sweet at work is a hit though - lol). However it did even better than the packet of Tim-Tams I also took along.

Also made some Pumpkin Scones with help from Master M. He is not a big veggie eater but enjoys these and even eats the raw batter (which I am more than happy he does - sucker!).

Enjoy!

Sherry :)

6 comments:

  1. Yum! What a perfect recipe to make in your vintage Pyrex. I remember my Nan making this too...thanks for the recipe...What a great use for those Weet Bix crumbs btw x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a recipe my lot may get their teeth into thanks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds delish, especially like the idea of marshmallow topping! melx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherry, I hope you don't mind but I included a modified version of this recipe on my blog - linking it back to you of course! I am only quite new to blogger, and still just learning the ropes, but I hope this meets blog etiquette standards!
    I came across your blog a couple of days ago, and really enjoy it! I myself love ye old vintage-ware. haha thanks again, come check out my version and let me know what you think! (my blog is about making recipes modifiable to people dependent on their disease state/preferences so I hope you dont get upset that I cut out the sugar!! haha)
    Rhi
    rhi-ealmeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh i love old skool recipes like this. soooo delicious. vintage pyrex too? you're onto a winner here. x

    ReplyDelete

This is the best bit, would love you to leave me a Vintage Hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...